Monday, August 20, 2012

Teacher runs a 10K



As per usual, I have a few more details to report--most of which are fairly trivial and, I hope, entertaining.

This 10K was an absolutely spontaneous decision--I had several friends over on Saturday for a delicious Indian lunch, with spices provided by our token Indian, Debbie, followed by some bi-lingual games. Well, we ate and ate and drank and played hilarious word games...up until about an hour before the race. Then we discovered two of us had already been planning on participating, and of course, why didn't the other six join in as well? Sometimes, the all-for-one, one-for-all mentality is awesome. I don't think I had run in about three or four weeks time, and never at this altitude. I was up for something radically new! but was my body? That remained to be seen...

It was called la Carrera de las Iglesias (literally, Run of the Churches). Its path wound about through Quito and its historic center, passing by ten beautiful old churches. We ran on cobblestone, up sandy inclines and down winding passageways, on main roads, and my favorite scenes--the open plazas, strung with lights, allowing for a lovely glimpse of each church. It was a stunning sight to see the 12,000+ runners jogging through the city. Along the way, there were many people holding encouraging signs, even local musicians and percussion bands to cheer us onward.

Post-race photo: Jillian, me, Pablo, Luis, and Ruben. ¡Los campeones! 

I literally don't know how I made it. As each kilometer mark passed, I wondered how much longer I would continue. I had begun with the hopes of just running part of it then taking a cab home (I stuck a dollar coin in my shoe just in case). Little did I know my lungs were ready to make use of what little oxygen is in the air and get me from 0 to 10K. It was some quality time with new friends (I have been absolutely blessed with friendship here) and such a unique memory! And what a thrill to successfully complete it! After the race, we went to the historic center again--this time showered and ready to enjoy the evening--and had dinner in La Ronda. That part of Quito looks so much like Spain: I really love to reminisce while strolling on the curving cobblestone roads, seeing white-washed buildings, and planters over-flowing with red flowers hanging from the windows: it reminds me very much of Granada. (Unfortunately, later that night I felt tremendously ill, though I think it was pretty understandable following the run. I wondered if I had eaten something bad or was coming down with the flu, but lo and behold, I'm perfectly well now. My health has been another great blessing: not one big issue in this transition period, despite my culinary adventures!)


Tuesday, August 14th, was my first day as an English teacher. With five days down and many, many to go, I am feeling alright. Today captured quite an array of emotions: just this morning I told a friend I was ready to leave Ecuador (I was feeling incredibly unprepared). This evening, I was back to rejoicing I was here and I can honestly say I look forward to lesson planning and teaching English. There will be hard days, I will make mistakes, I will (and have already) embarrassed myself. I won't always know answers to questions. Teaching is going to be great for the ol' humility factor. I realize my greatest fear is that the students will be bored, yet I have at my fingertips so many sources of information. I need to put in the effort and prepare a fun and effective class! My plan is simple: be kind, engaging, and instructive.

I am so pleased to say the whole "being kind" goal is rather succeeding (maybe humility isn't?). Today, a girl told me "Teacher...you are sweet" and proceeded to compare me to other "rude," or "strict" teachers. I was blown away! Previously, I had found this particular student to be one of the few that was a bit intimidating: pretty sassy, only speaking up when she wanted, chit-chatting in Spanish, etc. I sometimes felt like she was laughing at me, but I just shrugged it off and kept a smile on my face. I tried to put myself in her place: frustrated with a new language, in a class with friends, etc. And so apparently, I'm doing okay. I'm extremely surprised. It's also a funny coincidence because I expected her and other students to consider me strict: when I hear Spanish spoken, I look at the culprit with a grin, but a fairly stern eye, just letting them know it's not acceptable. I've even sent one of the class clowns to sit in the corner for being a habitual offender! I have told them that it's for their benefit I don't allow Spanish--I guess they believe me. I do hope their grades reflect it, as well.

No Spanish allowed, and no calling me "Teacher." "It's the custom!" they always say. I remind them daily that it is not the custom in English to address one's teacher as such. If and when they do it, I say "student, student!" or muse aloud "Hmm, I wonder who so-and-so is talking to..." so they laugh and call me Juliann...or some variation of my name: it's a tricky one for Spanish-speakers. I've about cured them of calling me "teacher," I do believe.

My confidence certainly wavers, but over all, it's mostly a pleasant experience. I look forward to (oh look, a phrasal verb!) the day when it comes second-nature, and I can waltz into class ready to make them laugh and truly learn English well.

So, on the occupational side of things, I'm hoping to become more comfortable. Socially, I'm ridiculously happy about my new friendships. There exist chivalrous men, and kind women, and good, solid conversation--chévere! I've spent a good deal of time with a certain group of friends that include myself and my friend, Jillian. And boy, is it difficult to know who Ecuadorians are talking to: Juliann or Jillian. So, when we're all together, they've taken to calling me Celeste! (sounds like "cell-és-tay") I love it. Thanks, Mom and Dad, for giving me a middle name that means the color of my eyes in Spanish.

In other news, I am blending in a bit more here..though I'm as stubbornly blonde and blue-eyed as ever. How, you ask? Saldo. People tend not to use cell phone plans here, and instead purchase texting and phone minutes whenever they need it. More often than not, people are out of saldo. And, so am I, currently. For the second time. In two weeks. It's rather annoying, but it just becomes a joke. Whoever has saldo calls those who don't, you use your friend's phone to send a message, etc. Silly and lovably organized in latino fashion.

Out for a Colombian breakfast with Debbie and Jillian this morning!


My cup overfloweth. To further beautify my already splendid life, I found a more vibrant, and wonderfully traditional, parish within a 20-minute walk from home: St. Thomas Aquinas Church. The priest is from Spain (I confess, I miss the accent. And, here I've been told I have a Spanish accent! I'm torn between abandoning it and keeping it going..vamo' a ver.) I do hope to join the somewhat feeble choir at the church and perhaps boost its volume while forming new friendships.

Life is beautiful!

And, man, I really need to stretch.


Now, for just a touch of TEFL humor, I conclude with the following quotes:

(After listening to Coldplay's "Fix You") "Ignite your bones? What means that?" 

"How do you say "quieres casarte conmigo?" (Will you marry me?)

What are mistakes? "Mistakes are mistakes."

"Succeed...sexy!" Okay, but what does "succeed" mean? "Succeed is sexy." (They were overjoyed by how similar the words sounded.)

"I am deceptionated."

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA YES!!!!!This is most entertaining. I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time Ojala! Sorry I'm a fallacy of a friend:( I'm working on getting better at communicating with people who aren't in the same zip code as I. I'll email you slash I would like to Skype you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OJALA! Yes, please, let's Skype soon! You're not a fallacy of a friend..you're just mildly absent..as am I. We shall remedy that situation soon! This weekend, Skype date?

      Delete